Friday, October 19, 2007

In which I accept the 50 Book Challenge

...despite the odds, quite frankly, being against me. After all, I'm pretty sure that I've never read fifty books in a year in my life. I tend to read in sustained bursts, punctuating a life filled with many other activities, like playing Final Fantasy games, watching animu, and being lame. In fact: I had only read 16 books by the beginning of fall semester in September, and the first 10 of those were in the first 9 weeks of the year. What, exactly, I was doing with my time from March to August I can't even reconstruct.

But in the last 40 days I've finished 14 more, a pace that would put me at 55 by the end of the year. And all this reading has been good for me, I think. It's helped keep me emotionally centered despite a stressful and problem-mined first half of the semester. So in order to keep me on the right track, I've committed to the famous 50 Book Challenge. That link is on livejournal, but since I no longer use my lj I'm participating in the much smaller Facebook spinoff.

I heartily encourage readers to join me. Literature is one of the few truly beneficial habit-forming stimulants I know. Delicious!

1 Comments:

Blogger S.M. Elliott said...

I would join, but I actually got into a similar challenge organized by a friend, in which we all tackle several books we've been putting off for months (or years). For me, it's "Gravity's Rainbow" and other fiction.

7:09 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home